Praise from our clients and friends
Henry A.J. Ramos, President and CEO, Insight Center for Community Economic Development
Opportunity Partners is simply the best in the business at providing full service, highly informed and actionable TA that advances social justice and economic opportunity in and around Northern California.
Olis Simmons, Youth Uprising
Sharon is brilliant, deeply committed to her work, and one of the best strategists in the field. Her diverse experience — ranging from small business owner to political campaign manager — makes her exceedingly competent in a number of areas, including but certainly not limited to communication, organizational development, and economic development. I always welcome the opportunity to work with Sharon.
Amie Fishman, East Bay Housing Organizations
Sharon Cornu is a brilliant strategist and campaign developer. She brings her deep expertise, skills and insights to creating and implementing winning and effective communications plans. She taps her extensive knowledge and network of political, labor, and community relationships to achieve powerful and meaningful coalition building.
Strategic Communications and Coalition Building
Opportunity Partners supported a national economic development and policy center in 2013-14 by reframing economic security issues and revitalizing an advocacy coalition. Working with university researchers, statewide advocates, and legislators, Opportunity Partners created training materials and a series of 58 county-level fact sheets in English, Spanish and Cantonese. Opportunity Partners created a showcase for our client’s leadership.
Marketing for New Business
Opportunity Partners assisted the successful launch of a hip co-working space with the marketing and management of an event for event planners. Leveraging extensive community contacts, Opportunity Partners hosted a successful event and helped our client start an important book of business. The project delivered greater-than-anticipated billings on shoestring expenses, contributing to the financial sustainability of an innovative business incubator.
Strategic Communications and Campaign Management
Working with transit employees at the regional bus service, Opportunity Partners managed messaging, press conferences, and employer relations through a complex series of negotiations. Through speakers bureau training, social and earned media, community leader briefings, and stakeholder engagement, we assisted our client and their employer in reaching a constructive settlement.
• Anew America – Strategic support and constituency development for business planning by social enterprises in immigrant and low-income communities
• Central Labor Council of Contra Costa County, AFL-CIO – Communications support including political mail, activist newsletters, website and social media management, leadership and activist trainings. Strategic support to community benefits campaign for Concord Naval Weapons Station re-use
• East Bay Housing Organizations – Messaging and strategic communications around state cap and trade allocation, EBHO’s role in the Community Coalition for a Sustainable Concord, and 30th Anniversary Celebration
• Impact Hub Oakland – Marketing and management support for innovative co-working space and incubator. Event planning, marketing materials, systems support
• Insight Center for Community Economic Development – Multiple projects to spur, analyze local development and economic security issues, including support for Elder Index on Self-Sufficiency, the BIG Initiative for local employment, procurement, investment and philanthropy, and a case study of Richmond opportunity
• Leadership Center for the Common Good (Center for Popular Democracy) / Rockefeller Family Fund – Authored report analyzing opportunities in local policy initiatives, coalition building and leadership development
• Local Initiatives Support Corporation (Healthy Richmond) – Coordinated outreach on procurement opportunities to Richmond, CA small and local businesses to improve shared prosperity, local hiring and community wealth building
• Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California – Communications, advocacy and electoral strategies for regional industry leader, including leadership development, fundraising, and staff / volunteer training
• Oakland Votes Redistricting Coalition / James Irvine Foundation – Initiated, managed coalition to defend Voting Rights Act. Grassroots redistricting campaign brought sunlight and neighborhood participation to process
• Pete Stark Re-Election Committee – Campaign manager for 20-term progressive stalwart, Medicare expert and anti-war activist in challenging new district
• The California Endowment – Consultant to Built Environment Workgroup, 14 grassroots groups collaborating for housing, transit, food justice in East Oakland. Housing policy power analysis, support for transit advocacy, food justice, urban agriculture
• United Food and Commercial Workers Western States Council – Leadership conference and strategic plan updates, including support to executive team and legislative advocates on new partnerships
• Urban Strategies Council – Organizing and media strategies for Hon. Sandré Swanson’s Assembly Select Committee Hearing on Boys and Men of Color
• Youth Uprising – Working with Aspiration Tech and key staff, developed a communications matrix to align social media, communications, and press outreach for leading community transformation youth center
Partial list December 2015